How would you like to make more money and get new clients while working ON your business and professional development?
I’m all for killing two birds with one stone, aren’t you?
Let me show you how one of my clients received 8 new clients and more than $50,000 in the past 30 days all while participating in someone else’s online training program she was having fun participating in to grow her own business.
The first piece of this profit puzzle is to actually sign up and and participate in an online training class. Preferably one that includes a participant forum (Ning or BuddyPress) or a Private Facebook Group.
Next you need to start building relationships with the other participants in the course. For that I’ll help you with 5 simple steps:
- Get to know everyone in the group by requesting friendship and making a short introduction of yourself. If the number of participants in quite large (50+) go ahead and write out a standard introduction and guidelines and have your Virtual Assistant do the dirty work of making each introduction. If the group is less than 50-you might benefit from doing this yourself because you can scan each person’s profile and begin to find out more information about them to use in future relationship building conversations.
- Start interacting with your new friends. Jump start the conversation by commenting on something they have posted in their profile such as their hobby or where they live.
- Answer questions. With most forums you can change you settings to notify you when someone posts in the group. If you see someone ask a question, even a simple administrative ones. Also make sure to answer questions where you can showcase your expertise. It’s also helpful to answer questions that allow you to provide other resources and recommendations. If you don’t have any clue on how to answer a question-don’t make something up, just stay quiet until you can provide a comment of value. BUT, don’t fall into the trap of devaluing what knowledge you do have.
- Ask questions. When there is a lull in the conversation, it’s time to ask your own questions. One great questions to ask is “what’s your biggest challenge with __________” fill in the blank with something relevant to either the course curriculum or the bigger marketing or business landscape.
- Offer a Virtual Coffee or a Strategy Session. Asking your new connections to join you for a “Virtual Coffee” allows you to hop on the phone with them and get to know who they are a little bit better. For most people it’s easier to interact over the phone than it is to figure out what to say in a comment or status update. In my Connections to Client Blueprint training, I share the exact scripts I use to get people to have virtual coffees with me as well as exactly what to say on a virtual coffee call. Once you feel like you have established some sort of rapport with someone then it’s perfectly ok to offer them a strategy session. Notice I said ‘once you feel like you have established some sort of rapport’. Don’t just go into a group and start pitching people on your products/services or you’ll be ignored. I’d also recommend that the offering of the strategy session not be done via public messaging but by private message directly with the interested party.
Sounds pretty easy right? So why did this work for my client, allowing her to bring in 8 new clients and more than $50,000?
Because she’s building relationships with the participants in the forum of this course. She’s providing value to those in the course and thus establishing her expertise as an expert and a mentor to those looking for insight and direction. And that’s just the NOW profits. Because she is building relationships with these people who knows how many will work with her in the future.
An additional benefit of this strategy is that these types of clients are ideal because you already know they are comfortable with investing in themselves if they have already paid to participate in someone else’s program.
Are you up for this easy win/win way to build your business? I promise by going through these 5 simple steps with every course you participate in you’ll not only constantly increase your client base but you’ll also get much more out of the program you’ve invested in.