So many times I’m asked the “rules” about connecting with people on LinkedIn.
Should I accept EVERY connection request I get sent?
Should I keep my network closed and only accept in the people I really know?
My very simple answer to this question –
What fun, phenomenal and rewarding experiences can I create with the people I connect with on LinkedIn?
If you viewed EVERYONE you came in contact with as valuable and a truly magical infinite being, then you’d simply be looking for those who are like minded and looking for other fun people to create some magic with. If you view everyone with this regard, you never know who might know someone who knows someone that’ll help you create something that’s more fun, phenomenal and rewarding than you ever thought possible!
How can it get any better than that?
For those of you who like a little practicality while you’re practicing BE-ing the magic you truly are, here is a helpful checklist to help you put a plan together for the types of people you should be reaching out to on LinkedIn.
- Colleagues: Most of you are doing this right. This is the first type of connection that people think of connecting with on LinkedIn but if it’s the ONLY type, is it any wonder you’re not getting clients from LinkedIn?
- Leveraged Partners: Are you regularly reaching out to people who share the same target audience as you do so that you can find more and more ways to work together and both get in front of your perfect prospects?
- Media Contacts: Are you connecting with the editors of your local paper and the publishers of national industry publications you would like to take notice of you? LinkedIn is searched by 90% of the media professionals today when looking for experts to interview. If you’re not staying top of mind then you won’t be called for that possible life changing interview.
- LinkedIn Open Networkers (LIONs): These are individuals who openly connect with anyone and everyone. Connecting with them and fostering a relationship with them will open doors you never dreamed possible. (I can connect you with 1,000+ in my LinkedIn Magic Bullet Virtual Training Program)
- Prospects: Are you following up with people you met at local networking events and/or tradeshows? Make sure you keep the conversation going on LinkedIn after you met one another. You never know when they will need your services or might be able to refer you to someone who does.
As you can see, there is more to connecting with people on LinkedIn than just chasing down clients!
If you liked this article, I’ve got a FREE Gift for you, my Simple 5 Step System for Getting Clients from LinkedIn Mindmap, you can check it out here!