Since I’m a regular speaker at local networking events I often have bricks and mortar business owners in the audience. The #1 question I’m asked is whether they should set up their business on Facebook as a personal profile or as a Fan Page.
I’ve put together 5 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t use a Personal Profile for Your Local Business
- It’s Against The Rules- Section 4 of Facebook’s terms clearly states that you shouldn’t have two separate Facebook accounts and you should never use a personal Facebook profile for commercial gain. I have seen several accounts shut down for this reason and that means one morning you wake up and all the time and energy you spent building friends is wasted.
- You’re Making It Harder For Your Customers to Interact with You– It’s quick and easy to ‘Like’ a business on Facebook if they have themselves set up with a proper fan page. If you are using a personal profile then your customers have to send a friend request to you and then you have to accept the friend request.
- Personal Profiles Aren’t Optimized for Google the Way Fan Pages Are– I hope if you are a serious business owner who wants customers then you’ll agree that it’s important to show up on the first page of the Google search results. If you are in a highly competitive industry-why would you make this harder on yourself?
- You Could Run Out of Friends-A personal profile is only allowed 5,000 friends. Fan Pages can have an unlimited number of fans.
- Your Business Looks Boring– Why not create a Fan Page for popular products/services or niche customers so that they can interact with one another instead of the entire fan base.
Facebook personal profiles are for people and Facebook business (fan) pages are for businesses.
So what if you’ve got yourself set up the wrong way? Give me a call at 888.423.5960 and I’ll walk you through a simple conversion process AND we’ll get you set up on the new Facebook Timeline.