You’ve heard of writer’s block, right? Well a similar phenomenon happens on sales calls called “conversation block” — it’s when your emotions about the call cause you to over-think and ultimately sabotage the direction and the outcome. Here are a few tips that will help develop your communication and listening skills so that you gracefully navigate through the call. Like any great conversation your call needs to have a clear beginning, middle and end. So let’s begin!
Step 1: Create Structure to the Conversation.
- Choose your points and illustrations carefully. Too much information may overwhelm the person on the other line. Use a list of questions that create structure and insight for the conversation.
- Create an organization sheet for you to use prior to the call. At the top write: “Problems I’m hearing”, “Solutions”, “What I’m Offering” “Benefits of Working with My Team and I”. You probably have a good sense of the latter two but some unique things may pop up while you are on the call and it will be worth writing down.
- Use the chart to organize information as it comes in but don’t be married to it. Listening and having your prospect feel heard and understood are more important.
Step 2: Eat Light Easy to Digest Foods Prior.
Nothings worse than feeling hungry when you’re about to engage in an important interaction. It messes with your emotions, attention span and patience.
- Eat light easy to digest foods such as a salad, raw nuts, hummus with veggies, or a fresh smoothie or juice. This will give you and your brain a boost of energy.
- Avoid heavy processed, fried or unhealthy snack foods because the amount of time and energy it takes to digest them will leave you feeling tired and sluggish before the call.
- Eat in a relaxed environment so that your body is able to break it down and utilize it optimally.
Step 3: Dress for Success: Look Good and Feel Fabulous!
- Pick out something to wear that is clean, comfortable and chic.
- Do a little twirl in the mirror and visualize yourself knocking the socks off of the person on the other line.
- Dressing for success will help you sharpen your communication skills and increase your self-confidence!
Step 4: Clear Your Space for Optimal Sensory Awareness
Your senses are how you take in information to understand the world. If there is too much information you get overwhelmed…it’s information overload. Here are a few questions to ask yourself to create the ideal work space for the call:
- Visuals: Is the room lit with natural lighting? Is the space organized or cluttered? Do you have any inspirational photos, quotes or testimonials up that can remind you of the great impact you have on the world and others?
- Sound: Is the room ideal for concentration and minimal distractions?
- Temperature: Does the room temperature feel comfortable to you?
- Smell: Is it possible to get a little fresh air to help you clear your breath deeply while on the call? Is there a certain scent that you can use to sooth you and help you focus?
Step 5: Do Your Happy Dance, Song, Prayer to Get Your Energy Up!
Contrary to what your subconscious mind is telling you, there are wonderful clients looking for you and your team to solve the problem they are currently facing. Sometimes we doubt this truth, especially when sales and conversion rates are low. So trick your mind into believing you already closed the deal before it leads you down the path of: “they’re going to say no.”
- Dance! Dance! Dance! Put on your favorite song and turn the volume up. Start dancing and feel how quickly movement takes you out of thinking and shifts you into feeling on top of the world!
- Sing: If singing is your thing, put on your favorite song and belt it at the top of your lungs. The vibration of sound will stimulate the endocrine system and raise your emotional vibration getting you to feel strong.
- Call in Your Guardians: Saying a little mantra or affirmation can be very powerful and humbling. If you’ve never tried one here’s something to begin. Feel free to add or create your own:
“Dear guardians, I am about to get on a sales call and I am feeling ______. I don’t know exactly what will happen on the call or why this person has come into my life but I trust that is for a good reason. Please guide me on the call to actively listen and distinguish if we are meant to work together and what opportunities for growth and learning are available to us. Help me step out of feeling ___ and give myself permission to do the service work that I am called to do.”
As you can imagine this is just the tip of the iceberg on how self care can help you boost your self confidence and communication skills. Share your insights and experiences below and if you’re looking to go further with the journey join me Thursday January 30th at Mande’s upcoming Expand Your Impact Event. We’ll be covering even more self care tips that will help you boost your energy and rock the health of your business. Even if you can’t make it live, Mande’s offering an amazing deal to get the event recordings for steal so get yourself registered as a virtual attendee!